eLearning or “electronic learning” is an umbrella term that describes education using electronic devices and digital media. It encompasses everything from traditional classrooms that incorporate basic technology to online universities.
Today’s learners want relevant, mobile, self-paced, and personalized content. This need is fulfilled with the electronic way of learning; here, students can learn at their own comfort and requirement. Let’s have an analytical look at the advantages of eLearning.
1. eLearning Accommodates Everyone’s Needs
The electronic method of learning is best suited for everyone. This digital revolution has led to remarkable changes in how the content is accessed, consumed, discussed, and shared. eLearning allows a very flexible mode of learning, hence making it possible for students to learn at their individual pace.
2. Lectures Can Be Taken Any Number Of Times
Unlike traditional way of teaching, with eLearning you can access the content an unlimited number of times because it allows students and teachers to record and replay every lecture period as many times as possible. This is especially required at the time of revision when preparing for an exam. In traditional form of learning, if you can not attend the lecture, then you have to prepare for that topic on your own; in eLearning, you can go over the lectures whenever you want with ease.
3. Offers Access To Updated Content
A prime benefit of eLearning is that it makes sure that you are in synchronization with modern learners. This enables the learner to access updated content whenever they want it.
4. Quick Delivery Of Lessons
eLearning is a way to provide quick delivery of lessons. As compared to traditional classroom teaching method, this mode has relatively quick delivery cycles. This indicates that the time required to learn is reduced to 25%-60% of what is required in traditional learning. These are some of the reasons why the learning time is reduced by eLearning:
- Lessons starts quickly and also wrapped up in a single learning session. This enables training programs to easily roll out within a few weeks, or sometime even days.
- Learners can define their own speed of learning instead of following the speed of the whole group.
- Saves time as a student does not need to travel to the training venue, when online learning is available. You can learn at the comfort of your own place.
- Students can choose to study specific and relevant areas of the learning material without focusing on each and every area. For example, they can skip certain areas they do not want to learn.
- Teachers don’t need to waste time drawing diagrams as they are readily available on the eContents.
eLearning helps in creating and communicating new training, policies, concepts, and ideas. Whether it is for formal education or entertainment, eLearning is very quick way of learning!
eLearning enables educators to get a higher degree of coverage to communicate the message in a consistent way for their target audience. This ensures that all learners receive the same type of training with this learning mode.
7. Reduced Costs
eLearning is cost effective as compared to traditional forms of learning. The reason for this price reduction is because learning through this mode happens quickly and easily. When schools take advantage of the online aspect of eLearning, a lot of training time is reduced with respect to trainers, travel, course materials, and accommodation.
This cost effectiveness also helps in enhancing the profitability of an organization. Also, when you are studying at your own place, you are relieved from paying for travel expenses (e.g. accommodation) when training happens in another city/state and/or external learning materials.
eLearning has a positive influence on an organization’s profitability. It makes it easy to grasp the content and digest it:
- It results in improved scores on certifications, tests, or other types of evaluation.
- Higher number of students who achieve ‘pass’ or mastery’ level.
- Enhanced ability to learn and implement the new processes or knowledge at the workplace.
- Help in retaining information for a longer time.
9. Less Impact On Environment
As eLearning is a paperless way of learning, it protects the environment to a great extent. As per a study done on eLearning courses, it has been found that distance-based learning programs consumed around 90% less power and generated 85% less amount of CO2 emissions as compared to traditional campus-based educational courses. With eLearning, there is no need to cut trees for obtaining paper. Thus, eLearning is a highly eco-friendly way of learning.
10. eLearning Adds Fun to Learning
Unlike traditional methods of teaching that makes learning seem so boring, eLearning adds fun to learning through the various interesting teaching and learning tools that are made available. Teachers enjoy teaching while students totally enjoy the learning process.
Due to the wide set of benefits it gives to students, eLearning has become quite popular and appreciated among students all over the world.
- Source – eLearning Industry